Your home is supposed to be your shelter. It’s the place where you share life’s greatest moments with your family.
That’s why it’s always a good idea to keep it clean and healthy for everybody living in it. Contrary to what most people think, cleaning alone is not enough to maintain a healthy home. Even though it’s important, you need to do a little bit more.
In this article, we look at some of the biggest threats to a healthy home so that you can avoid them as effectively as possible.
Always keep your eyes open for any signs of water leakages at home. Even small leaks can dampen wood, carpets, and walls. This creates a thriving environment for mold and bacteria. Damp spaces may also have a musty odor that makes living unbearable.
Sometimes water damage is easier to spot, especially if it’s widespread. But other smaller and slow leaks may require the keen eye of a professional. It’s therefore important to conduct regular water damage inspections to pinpoint these leaks and deal with them before they become a health menace.
Mold is actually very common in many homes. If gone unchecked, it may cause serious allergic reactions and asthma as well. It’s estimated that over 70% of all homes in the world have mold. The severity of mold infestation varies from one home to another. Higher mold concentrations, however, increase the health risks significantly.
The good news is that getting rid of mold is not that hard. Just scrub all surfaces at home regularly using detergent. You may also consider using mold-resistant construction materials in your next remodeling project. But more importantly, you must identify and fix the underlying issue causing the mold in the first place.
Mold is often a manifestation of a moisture problem. Even if you scrub it off, if the moisture issue is not fixed, the mold will just return.
Dust is also a very common contaminant in most homes that may cause allergic reactions. Dusting your home regularly can help keep dust away. Try to declutter as much as possible, too, since dust accumulates on surfaces.
If you can see it, then it’s easier to wipe it off. Cluttered rooms, however, hide this accumulation and unless you do a close inspection, it may be hard to find and remove accumulated dust in certain areas. Dust off the filters of your air conditioner as well.
Even though you won’t need to clean the ducts more often, at least make sure you do it twice a year to remove any accumulation of dust and other debris.
Volatile Organic Compounds
Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs may cause several health issues including eye and nose irritation, nausea, allergic reactions, and headaches. Long term exposure to VOCs has also been known to cause kidney and liver damage in some severe cases.
The sad thing is that VOCs are found in many common household items. Traces of these compounds will be found in paint, carpets, MDF, cleaners, degreasers, and so many other common household items. It’s possible to reduce exposure to VOCs, though.
First, it’s advisable to replace vinyl wallcoverings with cradle to cradle certified ones. Water-based paints are also recommended.
It’s impossible to see or taste carbon monoxide but this is one of the most toxic chemicals on the planet. Carbon monoxide is produced through incomplete fuel burning. Early symptoms of CO poisoning may include nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.
Longer exposure to this gas may have fatal consequences. But there’s enough technology out there to keep you safe from the chemical.
Carbon monoxide detectors are now part and parcel of most homes. They are designed to sound the alarm if they detect the buildup of this gas at home.
Keeping your home healthy has to be your number one priority. Schedule an inspection today and keep your family safe!